Before the World War II, The SS Car Company had produced the SS Jaguar range of sports and saloon cars. After the war, because the name SS was associated with Nazi Germany, it was droppedand the company was renamed Jaguar Cars Ltd. The Brown's Lane plant was originally built as the wartime shadow factory for Daimler. In 1951, Jaguar seized the opportunity to first lease and subsequently purchase the site. At works times, Service 7 to Allesley ran additional buses to Jaguar Factory Gate North as a works service. Also, Service 10 to Brownshill Green passed the Factory Gate North every hour, allowing non-production staff to reach the works later than the works services.