Lythalls Lane Stadium originally opened in 1928 as the Home of Coventry Speedway. The speedway track closed in 1936 and the stadium reopened in 1937 as a greyhound racing venue. After the war, it continued operating as a greyhound stadium until it closed in 1964. The site was subsequently converted to a housing estate.
After the air raids of Holy Week in 1941, a bus dispersal policy was introduced to prevent a recurrence of the damage to the fleet that had occurred in the 1940 and 1941 air raids. As a result, temporary overnight parking for buses was provided in the parking areas outside the stadium between 1941 and 1946.