Coventry Corporation Transport Society

An Early View of Broadgate

Although this picture is of very poor resolution, there are several distinguishable features.  The tram on the left has reversed stairs, only found on the trams purchased from Wigan Corporation in 1904, so it must be Tram 21.  Behind Tram 21 is the City Hotel, demolished in the 1930s to make way for the new Burton's store, which remained standing after the November 1940 air raid.  The other tram, Tram 1, dates from 1895 and the top deck knife-board seating arrangement can be clearly seen.  It was withdrawn in 1925.


This photograph was supplied by Clint Hancox as part of a collection of tram pictures.