These were Coventry's first buses. They were delivered in March 1914, but requisitioned by the War Department in September of the same year. There is a photograph or DU263 on Ball Hill, but the fleet number is not visible. DU264 is definitely identified as Number 2 and DU269 is definitely identified as Number 6. Peter Gould groups the buses as 1 to 4 and 5 to 6, so it is reasonable to suggest the registration numbers shown below.
|Model||Maudslay 40hp 3-tonner|
Double deck with Brush bodywork, high chassis, open top, open platform and open stairs
4-cylinder, 6.435 Litre Petrol engine (5 inch bore and 5 inch stroke)
Upper saloon: 18 seats Lower saloon: 16 seats
|1||1914||1914||DU263||There are detail differences between DU263 and those shown in other surviving photographs. The body appears to sit higher on the chassis, mounted on supporting cross-members, whereas the others appear to be mounted directly onto the chassis.|