By 1962, there were 23 service routes in Coventry. The service numbers reflect the order in which they were brought into service. However, there are several exceptions, because original routes were discontinued and the service numbers used for new routes.
Services 1 and 3 were introduced in 1919 after the recommencement of bus services in the City. The original Service 2 was also introduced in the same year, but discontinued in 1938. The current Service 2 was introduced in 1939, taking over the Cheylesmore section of Service 10. By January 1926 Services 4 and 5 had been introduced, although the original Service 4 was withdrawn in 1941 and the post-war route began service in 1953. Service 5 went through a number of transformations before it became the post war Coundon Service. Service 9 was originally introduced in 1928 and discontinued ten years later. The following year, Service 9 was reintroduced as the Earlsdon service, taking over from Service 11A, which had replaced the Earlsdon tram service. It was extended to the Copsewood terminus in 1941. The original Service 12 was introduced in 1932, but discontinued in 1939. The later Service 12 was created by splitting Service 18 into two separate routes. Service 15 was originally introduced in 1938 as an Outer Circle Summer tour, but the Whitmore Park route did not begin running until 1958.