Six of the AEC Regents hired from the London Passenger Transport Board were converted to run on producer gas in 1943 and fitted with a gas producer trailer. This was to comply with a wartime directive to use less liquid fuel. GC3997 was originally ST61, but given a CCT fleet number of 611. All six ran on Service 18A to Canley, where they were invaluable for transporting munitions workers to and from hostels. They were all stabled at the Foleshill depot, where there were facilities for producer gas vehicles.
This photograph was supplied by Geoff Cowley, printed from a negative loaned to him by Alf Owen in the early 1960s.